139 15 – Demonstrate Knowledge and Understanding of HIV/AIDS in a workplace, and its effects on a business sub-sector, own organisation and a specific workplace
This unit standard provides a broad introduction to HIV/AIDS in the workplace. It introduces a broad case of knowledge about HIV/AIDS that will enable learners to be informed and caring workers in an industry. The focus is knowledge, skills, values and attitudes in relation to the learner`s own context and experience of the world of work.
The qualifying learner is capable of:
• Understanding the effects of HIV/AIDS on the immune system.
• Knowing how HIV/AIDS is transmitted.
• Knowing what behaviour is safe and what behaviour caries the risk of HIV/AIDS transmission.
• Knowing what guidelines and assistance are available to support workers with HIV/AIDS and recognise own role in creating a caring work environment.
• Understanding the implications of the HIV/AIDS pandemic for society, the economy, a business sub-sector, an organisation and a specific workplace.